KCSS 91.9 FM – The Valley’s True Alternative

I am consistently flabbergasted at how often there is a small and amazing facet of the Stanislaus community that has just completely escaped my notice up until now in my sunset years as a Stanislaus student.

When it comes to KCSS though, the long-standing ignorance is admittedly my own fault.

Radio booth with standing microphone, sound board, and blurry "ON AIR" sign in background
Image by Benjamin Hartwich on Pixabay.com

KCSS is actually really good at promoting itself, and thank goodness because it is a broadcast station after all. But the cotton in my ears that thought of radio as something that played the same seven songs from the top forty over and over again just didn’t think enough about it to realize that there was something special going on here.

As a Communications Major who needed 120 units to graduate, and as someone who had 118 units, I needed one more tiny class to push me over the edge, so I went scouring over the available classes looking for something that wouldn’t stress my brain into leaking out of my ears, and yet still something that would teach me some new skills for my resume.

I ended up taking Radio Production Laboratory, and I immediately regretted that I hadn’t signed up for the class four years ago.

KCSS is one of the most storied and classically-Stanislaus centered organizations on campus. It really does act as “alternative” radio, taking long-strides to maintain the status of being non-profit, playing music of many different genres, for many different audiences, and being student-run with actual students and interns creating all the radio shows, trivia segments, public service announcements, and pretty much anything you hear over the air from them.

Even in the middle of the pandemic with nothing but a Zoom meeting, Greg Jacquay (the national treasure of Stanislaus radio, as described by Dr. Marcy Chvasta) made it a requirement to meet not just with him individually, but to meet with the student directors and content managers of the radio, pointing out how this wouldn’t be a stuffy class but a community radio station with an emphasis on community.

The class has already marked itself as exactly what I was hoping for – a low stress class that will teach me skills – but I like it so much that I find myself wanting to do more work for the station. So in a classic Nathan maneuver, I’ve ended up doing more work for it than I actually needed to, but I’m doing it because I love it!

Vintage Radios stacked on top of each other
Image by Igor on Pixabay.com

How often do students, or anyone for that matter, get to record themselves and put their voices out on the radio? And with over 45 years of history, KCSS has an actual community based audience, so you’re not shouting into the void like it might feel like with that essay that you spent eight hours on only to have one professor read it.

The radio class is essentially an art class, you get out of it what you put into it. If you want to just do the assignments, you can! And you’ll get a good grade based on the effort you put in. And if you want to get an extra lump of clay and try to make another masterpiece on your own time, but with the support and critique of professionals and experienced peers, you can do that too!

In the few short weeks I’ve been in the class I’ve already learned a great deal of everything from FCC laws regulating what can be said over radio, to the proper microphone etiquette (which will help immensely in the new world of Zoom interviews), to how you can edit your recording to make it sound in the best shape you can get it in!

My call to action for you here is twofold. If you’re a student at Stanislaus, or thinking about going there, look into KCSS. Consider taking a class that will give you experiences and the ability to learn things you’d never have a chance to do otherwise. Trust me, it’s worth it!

And if you’re not a student at Stan, you can still listen to KCSS! Tune in to 91.9 FM from anywhere in Turlock or the webcast here from literally anywhere in the world! Check out The Valley’s True Alternative for great song selection, to support the community and student work, and to maybe even catch my voice on the air waves from time to time 😉

Image used with permission from KCSS.net

I Miss Live Theater

2020 was the first year since 2013 that I didn’t see a single theatrical performance.

Drama!
Image by Christian Dorn from Pixabay.com

Now, that has the potential to sound really stuffy and long-nosed as I sip my tea pinky-up and adjust my monocle, so do understand that my definition of live theater is loose. I’m not talking about strictly the opera, I include children’s productions, community theater, high school plays, and the occasional high-brow show as valid live plays to fit my criteria of “at least one per year”.

But,

I had the great fortune of having a sister who did seven plays throughout high school, and the even greater fortune of Turlock High School having a really excellent drama program. So much so that I’ve gone back and watched their shows even now that I’ve graduated. I was able to fall in love with theater at a younger age.

There’s a sort of barrier in most stories that fades away in live performance. It feels more authentic, closer, a stronger type of storytelling. Similar to a good book, live theater will make you forget that you’re part of the audience and you’ll start to feel as if you yourself are part of the world unfolding before you.

I told myself sometime in high school that I would try to see at least one play every year of my life.

And uh, that totally flopped, didn’t it?

So yes, in 2020 I did get to watch Hamilton on Disney plus along with the rest of the world, and yes, I did tear up at “It’s Quiet Uptown” (who didn’t?) but it still wasn’t the same as watching it live. I found myself thinking about and reminiscing on all the performances I’ve been to, not the least of which being some of the shows our very own Stan State has produced.

Unlike me, dear reader, you may very well still be attending Stanislaus in a post-pandemic world (Class of 2021 squad up!), and if that’s the case then please let me convince you to check out the productions of the Theatre Department. Listen, some of these shows were super good. Like, here’s two of them that live in my head rent free:

Plane travels around the world, crossing over Africa
Image by Kirillslov at Pixabay.com

Boeing Boeing was a hilarious farce written in the 60’s about chauvinistic men trying to lead on multiple relationships by dating flight attendants that were never in the same place at the same time, until flights get cancelled and the various women all end up in the same spot on the same day, and the men start get their comeuppance.

It was fantastic, frantic, and had me busting a gut more than once ala the movie Clue, anything written by Neil Simon, and The Importance of being Ernest. The director, Stanislaus professor John Mayer, gave a reading pre-performance drawing comparisons between the sexist overtones of the play and the state of political figures at the time, and how in the end blatant bigotry never wins.

Boeing Boeing demolished my idea of college theater being the sort of stuffy “only for the arts” cliché that I had originally thought it had, making me go and drag friends to be able to laugh at Stanislaus shows with me.

Scene of stars with a comet
Image by OpenClipart on Pixabay.com

In the same way that the movie Hidden Figures shined a light on the underrepresented work of women of color in NASA, Stanislaus’s production of Silent Sky, directed by Cynthia DeCure, shined a light on even earlier female contributions to astronomy by following the life of Henrietta Swan Leavitt, and the incessant life-long passion-driven work she conducted only for her work to be taken and claimed by male contemporaries for them to receive the legacy and fruits of her work.

Silent Sky was as heart-breaking, captivating, and eye-opening as only the best stories can be. At the end of my first viewing of the show, I walked away with the curious sensation of feeling so very small, and yet so powerful as well.

I was conscious of the speck of stardust that I was in the face of the Universe, as well as how if I commit myself to work and passion, that I could accomplish so so much like Henrietta Leavitt did.

Oh, and it also had killer costuming and a set that spun around on itself. Did I mention that this play took place at the turn of the Victorian Era? When I watched this show, all of my aesthetic Pinterest boards swooned along with me.

Stanislaus’s Theatre Department has some excellent directors, actresses/actors, and behind the scenes costume directors and stage workers. So good, that these plays I mentioned have twiddled their way into my mind for the last three years since I first saw them.

Today, the department works hard in the face of global pandemic and gathering restrictions to keep the work and the experience flowing for both their students and the art as a whole. While I hope that you’ll be able to catch one of their live showings in a post-pandemic world, in the meantime make sure to check their website https://www.csustan.edu/theatre and keep your ear to the ground so that you can be one of the first ones to catch it when their next event comes.

P.S. There’s great debate about whether it should be spelt “Theater” or “Theatre” so I did my best to use both and appease/infuriate everyone equally.

Ode to Libraries

A wall of bookshelves with the text: "A university is just a group of buildings gathered around a library"
Quote by Shelby Foote, image from Pixabay.com

When I was a kid, my mom would take me and my big sister to the Turlock public library once a week where we’d walk out with a stack of bedtime stories so big she could barely carry it to the car, and I didn’t help because I was two. Three days later we’d have read through the entire stack and then spend the next four days vehemently demanding that our parents reread our favorites.

Thank God for patient parents.

I’ve been pro-library for all of my remembered life (as I’d wager to guess most people reading this post are), but I’ve been a library advocate for the last four years. I’ve also been attending college for the last four years. Coincidence? I think not!

The rise in College tuitions disproportionate to the rate of inflation is a real issue, one that merits someone more educated and better researched on the topic to talk about it than I. But, from a student’s perspective, I can at the very least attest to my growing respect for any medium designed to share knowledge for free.

Your local library, whether it be part of the Stanislaus County System, or something grander like the New York or Los Angeles public systems, has been and will continue to fight to keep up with the times and present you with as much convenient access to as much knowledge as is feasible.

And they’re happy to help you personally too!

You should use them!

They will love you!

You should also use your university library.

While my lifelong heart clearly lies with the public libraries and librarians across the world, when it comes to bare bones facts and knowledge, it’s University libraries that win out.

The Vasche Library, Stanislaus’s own building, feels massive. In its pre-renovation state, walking in the first-floor tutoring center and realizing that there were three whole floors to the building was like opening a wardrobe and realizing that there was an entire Narnia out there waiting for you.

The first true realization of, like, my mental mortality, was walking into the Vasche Library and realizing that if I spent the rest of my life trying to read and understand every book in that building, I would die before I even got halfway through the collection.

Which is why I opened up my laptop in the study section and played Minecraft instead.

(My Minecraft Library)

No that’s not a joke, yes it is still funny. A University library has this awesome energy to it, of holding some of greatest collections of human knowledge over the course of all of history, so much so that that we have to choose and use our time carefully within it, which sometimes means researching gender norms in early Amerindian civilizations, and sometimes means playing Minecraft.

Both are valid in their own time!

But most importantly, and what really gives college libraries the edge over public ones is that coveted coveted access to thousands of scholarly articles from hundreds of different peer-reviewed journals that are otherwise hidden behind a superfluous paywall the journals have (one that rarely pays the actual authors/researchers, by the way) and opens the door to you learning about the most recent, cutting-edge research about anything.

The university library lets students bypass the paywalls and obstacles put up to make the access of knowledge difficult. Libraries make it easy. They are the key that opens the lock to the questions about the universe you’ve had burning in your mind since you could first ask “why?”

That is what made me realize that college was special. Not the smart and approachable professors, not the beautiful campus, no not even the friendly cats.

It was the library, and its website.

There are times to sit down and work on that sweet grind mining for diamonds, and then there are times when you can do yourself a favor by literally expanding your horizons and knowledge of the world by surfing the library website. It may sound melodramatic (and we all know I have a tendency for that too) but it’s true!

Your university library is awesome!

Take full advantage of it!

Warriors Abroad (You can Study Abroad Too!!)

On January 10th 2020 adrenaline coursed through me making me toss and turn without a wink of sleep, because within 24 hours, I would have done my first solo trip ever, resulting in me being picked up at an airport and taken to Heredia Costa Rica by a family that only spoke Spanish and I had only exchanged a couple emails with. It was the start of the most memorable and influential two months of my life.

Nathan in swim shirt and bucket hat posing in front of Manuel-Antonio Parque Nacional
This is the most photogenic picture I’ve ever had taken of me. Ever. I’m like a dapper Target kid model.

When I was graduating high school I had lots of preconceived notions about what University life would be like. There’s an ideal to it all, of broadening your horizons, learning more about yourself and the world, and preparing you for career life post-college.

When I got to college, I realized that while all those positive notions were true, there was also a lot of pesky studying and test-taking that I had to do to actually get to the “broadening horizons” portion of college. Who would’ve thunk?

Study Abroad, however, is one of those little nuggets of college that I discovered to be as much “broadening horizons” and as little “peskiness” as possible, and it’s one of the most concrete examples I can point to of how college changed my life and made me into a better person.

I want to emphasize that I give studying abroad the most glowing review I possibly can. For two and a half months (a semester-long venture cut short by the now-infamous, then a rumorous whisper, Coronavirus) I developed more self-confidence, more language skills, and more world-wisdom than I have in any other period of my life.

Hammock in middle-center, a tropical forest behind it
You can’t see it but there’s monkeys and sloths in those trees!

And Brittany Fentress, the Stan State Study Abroad Director, works harder and is more enthusiastic about giving students that experience than anyone I’ve ever met.

I could go on for literal days about my Costa Rica experience, talking about how I made such fast and strong friendships, how I went from an academic to a working understanding of Spanish, or how living with a Tico family gave me a different perspective to view the world. But in the hope of maintaining some sort of focus to this post, I want to emphasize: Studying Abroad is way more doable than you think it is.

Brittany is for real some sort of secret Super Heroine of Stan State.

Pink clouds over a Costa Rican city scape
Gorgeous Herediano Evening!

For me, it was a flyer taped onto a telephone pole. “Want to see the world? Attend a STUDY ABROAD information session!” Others have reportedly gotten the word through professorial endorsements, some through the Warrior Weekly emails, some through Instagram, some through the Study Abroad fair held in the quad.

The advertisements, nay, the invitations, are everywhere. And they’re inviting you.

I went to an information session, and was one of maybe four or five people who sat down with a student assistant, someone who had actually studied abroad themselves, had a nice PowerPoint explaining to us the process, and then some of her own stories.

It was so cool to not just hear the enthusiasm from someone who had actually gone through the experience we were all thinking of, but hearing the other reassurances that:

You can Study Abroad and still graduate in four years.

Studying Abroad can help you get a job.

You don’t have to break the bank to Study Abroad.

After the info session, we were handed a couple little forms that we filled out based on why we were thinking about studying abroad. Questions about what we were most worried about, how much institutional support we wanted, if we wanted to live with a homestay family or in dorms, and all the like.

I then sent that form to none other than the Study Abroad Director herself, who scheduled a personal one-on-one meeting with me. I walked into Brittany’s office, she was kind and formal, sat me down, and said: “Okay, so Costa Rica is perfect for you.”

“What?” I hadn’t even considered the country as an option.

Nathan posing in front of a waterfall
The 2 hour hike to get there was so worth it!!

“Well, you want to work on your Spanish, right?” She said. “You want to have a homestay, and you want a program with a strong support network. I’ve got a couple contacts with Heredia, and they have one of the most involved programs. They’ll take you on tours, field trips, museums, and they even have a Panama trip over Spring Break if you want to sign up for it.”

As the conversation progressed, Brittany’s official position melted away bit by bit as her enthusiasm for study abroad took over. I later realized that she did this for everyone.

Every single student at Stanislaus who studies abroad, gets a personal meeting with Brittany where she takes into account your exact worries, wants, and needs, and gives you advice on the program that is best suited for you, injecting some of her enthusiasm into you as well.

Readers, friends, if you want to see the world, there are people at Stanislaus with official jobs and a literal life passion to get you to do just that.

If my pictures seem really cool to you, if you’ve ever looked at a globe and daydreamt of trotting it, if you’ve ever wanted to get out of Turlock without getting out of Stanislaus, I beg of you, check out one of the Study Abroad information sessions. It might just change your life.

And if you’re not convinced by me (who can only fit so many words into one blog post!) check out some of these resources that are already out there. Follow @stanstatestudyabroad on Instagram for personal experiences and advertisements, read up on the official webpage: https://eie.csustan.edu/office-international-education-study-abroad , or even check out the brand new podcast that the department is starting, which I get to be a guest host on in their episode coming out in April!

You too, with a little bit of gumption, can become a Warrior Abroad!