Is “Now” really the time to start a Blog?

This is a question I had to seriously ask myself. The world is on fire, both literally and figuratively. We are in the midst of social change, a global pandemic, an election year, and the single greatest coordinated problem humans have had to face in recorded history: global warming.

AND I have to turn in a paper for my Communication Theory class by Wednesday.

Isn’t that ridiculous? Isn’t it funny that that’s the thing that my mind focuses on? That amidst this world of change and uncertainty, I’m still just little old me hoping to get a good grade on my paper. Sometimes I think that I have my priorities a bit out of whack. I think people would have a pretty good argument if they tried to tell me that my priorities are out of whack, in fact.

However, I take solace in a notion that I picked up from Neil Gaiman (author of Coraline, Good Omens, American Gods, and more) from when he gave a commencement speech to the graduating class of the University of the Arts in 2012. The quote goes like this:

"When things get tough, this is what you should do: Make. Good. Art…. Husband runs off with a politician? Make good art. Leg crushed and then eaten by a mutated boa constrictor? Make good art. IRS on your trail? Make good art. Cat exploded? Make good art…. Do what only you can do best: Make. Good. Art."
Neil Gaiman’s books and other content can be found at www.neilgaiman.com

I adore this speech and find it incredibly inspirational. Gaiman’s undertones are clearly a bit more humorous than the situation that we find ourselves in now, but if anything I think it enhances his message rather than detracting from his point. And said point is, that when times are tough and the future is uncertain, sometimes the best thing we can do is put our nose to the grindstone, and create.

The year is 2020. There’s a global pandemic and the California sky periodically looks as if it’s going through a nuclear winter. Is now really the time to start a blog? Yes.

The year is 2020. There’s social unrest and you’re left uncertain about your own personal safety and the future of our society. Is now really the time to start that side project you’ve always intended to? Yes.

The year is 2020. It’s the hardest year some of us have ever faced in our lives. Is now really the time to start going to college? Yes.

And here’s the rub, I have my own little addendum to Mr. Gaiman’s beautiful speech. He was talking to a crowd of fancy shmancy art majors (art majors I love you don’t be mad at me for calling you shmancy) who have spent thousands of dollars and hours of time and energy contemplating the nature of “art” and what it means to be “art”. But what does it all comes down to?

You are art.

You don’t have to be a painter, a writer, or a photographer to make good art. You just have to be you. I may be a tad sappy, but I truly believe that every single human’s voice is unique and individual, and that each one of you matters in this crazy topsy-turvy world. In the same way a piece of art is unique and beautiful and creates meaning in those that see it, you, whoever you are, are unique, beautiful, and impact the people lucky enough to come into contact with you.

If you are able to work on and improve yourself in the “Now” then there will be nothing in life that can stop you once we get through “Now”.

Hi. My name is Nathanael Heisler, most people call me Nathan. I’ve been allowed the privilege of writing this blog for you, with the express purpose of detailing my experiences as a Stanislaus Warrior in the current era. I will be doing my best to make good art for you, and to write things that are funny, informative, and at least a little bit weird as we all try to turn ourselves into good art and get through this time together by not just surviving but thriving too. My hope is that you’ll not just come along with me on this journey, but make good art with me too.

Stick around for new posts every Tuesday!