‘Tis the Season for Final Testing

Falalalala, lala, la, la.

Though I’m certain that it depends upon your department, I’ve found that as I progressed into upper-classmen years that finals season is characterized less and less by actual tests and more and more by Projects.

Which, in all honesty has its upsides and downsides like everything else in life. So as a technical 16th grader, allow me to offer you my lived experience as I evaluate the pros and cons of each of the two major types of grade-defining assignments.

☆ PROJECTS ☆

Paper with two pencils, pink eraser, and lightbulb on top of it
Image by Arek Socha from Pixabay.com

CONS:

1. If it’s group work, then you’re going to have to work around other people’s schedules (and pick up slack).
  2. Could require performance.
  3. It’s going to make the penultimate week of classes stressful.
  4. Requires research.
  5. Sometimes your grade is dependent on the bias of your teacher.

PROS:

1. If it’s group work, then you have the opportunity to network with people you’ve met throughout your class.
  2. Could require performance!
  3. Because projects are often due early, you’ll be done with some of your classes before finals week.
  4. You are going to learn things throughout your research.
  5. At the end of it all, you’ll have created something tangible.

Verdict:

Projects are my own preferred method of examination.

While I’m not the biggest fan of group work, I have actually met and made connections through final projects that have been powerful enough to teach me things and make me friends. I also love performance though I know that that’s a serious con for a lot of people. And ultimately, even though tests examine more concepts more broadly, I find that the in-depth niche nature of a project leads to a better and longer-lasting understanding of one particular class concept.

If I were to grade the theoretical concept of Projects, I’d give it a B.

You’ll actually learn something from it, and there’s potential for it to be great, but the reality of group work and so many uncontrollable factors isn’t great.

☆ TESTS ☆

Hand with pencil works on math test with geometry signals
Image by Tjevans on Pixabay.com

CONS:

1. Your final week of classes is going to be a marathon.
  2. You’re going to forget over half the stuff you crammed into your head a year after the test.
  3. All of your stress will bubble up to one specific day.
  4. Classes will sometimes charge you for scantrons (which is the most superfluous expense ever, you’re saying my tuition doesn’t account for scantrons?)
  5. Teachers get really finnicky about tests and will tote them around as life-defining experiences (they’re not)

PROS:

1. More definitive answers, less ambiguity of “am I on the right track here?”
  2. Takes less time (because honestly, how many of us study weeks ahead of time).
  3. You get your grades back quicker.
  4. There’s usually a study guide to help you make flash cards with.

Verdict:

OOF. I thought this was going to be more balanced but my bias is clear here. Maybe it’s the standardized testing that was drilled into me as a kid, or the knowledge that I’ve forgotten over half of the things I was ever tested on, despite consistently getting good grades on my tests. I’m not a fan.

BUT! I do admit, that when I’m assigned a final exam rather than a project, there’s a little part of me that says: “Oh good. There’s less work here.” And the importance of reducing stress during finals season like that cannot be understated. Even if I’m learning less, sometimes mental health is more important than objective learning and academic improvement.

If I were to grade the theoretical concept of Tests, I’d give it a C-.

Passable, but not by much. At least it’s like a band-aid rip: painful, but mercifully quick.

I hope that everyone had more projects than tests this semester, unless you have a completely different viewpoint than me in which case I hope that you had more tests than projects!

But more importantly, of course, I hope that you’ll have a happy set of Holidays, to whichever beautiful set that you do or don’t celebrate!

But unfortunately, I’m out of time! The Stanislaus Student bloggers go on break after this week, and will be returning in February of 2021.

No, it’s okay, don’t cry! I know you’ll miss me, I’ll miss you too.

But it’ll be good for both of us. I promise. Distance makes the heart grow fonder.

I have lots of fun ideas for posts that I want to make, and I think the rejuvenation over break will help a lot in getting me back to tip-top shape to share some truly amazing things with you all!

Did you know that we have a study abroad program at Stanislaus that’s cheap and affordable and that I used? Did you know that we have a set designer on faculty that worked on James and the Giant Peach and other claymation movies? Did you know that we have theater performances that range from the intellectual and important Silent Sky to the hilarious and farcical Boeing Boeing?

If you didn’t, then come back every Tuesday in February and beyond to hear more about Stanislaus State and my experiences with it!

Take care, and know that you’re worthy and lovable.

-Nathan

4 thoughts on “‘Tis the Season for Final Testing